Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Raw edge cabbage roses

Have you tried raw-edge applique? I haven't yet, but loved the look when I got this top to quilt. Even better, it a quick and easy technique. The applique pieces are sewn directly to the background -- no fusing, no turning under, no hand work! Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew has a great tutorial here.

I may have to give this a try!



The customer wanted a loose meander around the flowers and minimal stitching within them. The flowers were made of four layers, so I did a free-form line through the first and third layers. This pushed the fabric down just enough to make the raw edges pop up a bit. After washing, they will become even more pronounced as the edges fray. The batting was Hobbs 80/20 and thread was So Fine off ivory top and bottom.





I loved Kitty's use of all the different floral fabrics. This gave it a very feminine, vintage, cottage look. What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment