I've started on the applique blocks that go with the cute little log cabin blocks I posted about last time. The acorns went rather smoothly, but those little oak leaves were/are a big pain in the tushy. Only three more to go on this block. Thank goodness there are only four of these blocks!
I've tried tracing them then appliqueing, freezer paper on the back, freezer paper on the front, spray starch, and even gave reverse applique serious consideration. The problem is, they are so small that when you clip the valleys, there isn't much fabric to get turned under. Then I'm left with fraying threads. I have not tried Fray Check, but I wonder if it would leave the fabric with a wet look even when its dry.
I think the freezer paper on the back with the edges ironed to the wax is working the best. On the first leaf I stitched down, I put lots of little stitches in the valleys to hopefully keep the fraying at bay. I'm hoping the Applique Fairy will visit me in my sleep and give me a simple solution.